Meet the Apra Pennsylvania Board of Directors
Justin Herbert, Associate Director of Prospect Management and Research
I have worked in Prospect Research for three years. I started at Franklin & Marshall College as the Associate Director of Prospect Research and I now serve as the Associate Director of Prospect Management and Research.
- How many years have you worked in fundraising/prospect research?
I am formally trained as a geologist. After receiving my PhD for work on modeling the San Andreas fault system, I worked as a researcher for an oil and gas company in Houston, TX. The opportunity to work at my alma mater and move back to the East Coast presented itself and I was happy to make the move.
- Briefly summarize your background:
- How long have you served on the Apra PA board, and what inspired you to join?
This is my first stint on the Apra PA board, which began in January 2020. I was inspired to join after working closely with the board while hosting an Apra PA conference at F&M.
- What are you most proud of in your work?
I am most proud to work for an institution with a mission that I strongly believe in. By helping F&M reach its fundraising goal through prospect management and research, I help continue to allow students to experience the liberal arts.
- Do you have favorite research tool, site, or trick you can share?
My favorite research tool is iWave. I spend a lot of time searching through their various databases and performing general searches.
- What is your prospect development superpower?
I've been told my excel visuals are beautiful.
- What’s your hobby and why?
I enjoy woodworking because raw materials like wood usually tell you what they want to become - you just have to figure it out and bring out the best in the piece.
- What do you prefer (a book, a movie, or a live show) and why?
It is very hard to match the excitement and emotion of a live performance.
- What is your bucket list vacation destination and why?
I love WWII history, so I've always wanted to plan a trip to famous battle sites throughout Europe.
- What did you want to be when you grew up when you were a kid?
A professional baseball player.
- What is your favorite season and why?
Spring - the warm weather, flowers and greenery are a welcome sight after suffering through the winter.